Saturday, February 26, 2011

Book Review Saturday (Edition 5)

At the end of January, I ordered the book Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman. I expected it to be a moderately sized soft cover book, but when it arrived, I was surprised to find that it's a text book sized hard cover book. It made it a little difficult for me to take everywhere like I do with most of my other books, but I have managed to read it in it's entirety -- well almost, as I skipped the chapter on Pregnancy and Preparing for Baby.

This is another book that I found difficult to get my head around in some areas. Brenneman recommends that the woman manage the finances as this is what the Proverbs 31 woman does. My husband happens to enjoy being in charge of the finances. It is not an added burden for him.

I was also disappointed with how she goes about relaying and setting up her systems. I would have liked to have seen several full week by week detailed schedules written up in order for me to be able to understand how she gets everything done that she does on a daily and weekly basis.

I seem to be a little unusual in that I have never had a problem with keeping up with the laundry, but I am generally clueless when it comes to housework. Although Brenneman has great ideas for keeping up with the laundry, when it comes to her explanations on how to keep up with the housework she has me completely lost. It sounded much to me like she simply gives everything "a lick and a promise" and gets on with the next thing. I'm trying to get past the lick and promise stage.

In the end, I'm saying that I personally was rather disappointed by this book. I would not recommend it for the struggling mom at home.For establishing better cleaning routines and ensuring that your children are involved in helping you keep your home cozy and inviting, I would rather recommend reading Sink Reflections by Marla Ciley, Managers of Their Homes and Managers of Their Chores by Steven and Teri Maxwell. The three of them combined are very helpful in setting up and establishing cleaning routines that work for you and your family.

*** Edited to note: For a completely different review of the same book, read Gina's Review at Home Joys.

3 comments:

  1. I have read too many of this type of book. Why do women feel such compulsion to measure the joys of homemaking? To push and improve it all? When there are laps around, children climb up with books. When we would go (to CANADA!) to a camp for four weeks, the fog of "all my doings" would clear. I'd regain my perspective about my job as a homemaker. I'd remember how I loved my job as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah,

    If you're interested I have chore lists/schedules from a mom of nine that I have adapted to our smaller family. Let me know :D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Gina reviewed this book on her blog, too! What a neat coincidence! http://homejoys.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-large-famil-logistics.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...