Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Being Ten

I'm reading a book that asks its readers to remember back to when they were ten years old. I tried to think back on my childhood. I'm not sure if I was ten when all these memories occured, but they are certainly ones from my childhood.

-- I loved dolls.(Still do actually).
-- I always wanted a kitchen set like my dear friend Andrea had.
-- I played Barbies a lot too, but I remember my Barbies being moms and housewives --although somehow they always fit in time for a fancy party or two.
-- I loved the smell of Playdough.
-- I also loved the smell of a brand new package of crayons (Crayola of course)!
-- I loved to swim in our neighbour's pool
-- I liked summer the best because there was no school. I could be home!!
-- I hated being sent to VBS or summer camp. It happened rarely thankfully!
-- I would spend hours laying on a quilt on the lawn reading the Bobsey Twins, Danny Orlis, James Herriot, and any other novel that piqued my interest.
-- I had Winnie-the-Pooh running shoes that I was very sad to outgrow.
-- I also had a Winnie-the-Pooh night gown that I refused to outgrow. As a matter of fact, I still wear have it.
-- I did not like change.
-- I had some wonderful grade school friends that I still keep in contact with to this day, despite the fact that we live on opposite ends of the continent and even on different continents.

***Photos: top: Christmas at age 6. Bottom: 9th birthday. I couldn't find any of me at age 10.

The nicest thing is, I now have a daughter who is ten. Looking back at my memories of being ten and who she is at ten. I can see that they are truly carefree years. Peach is such a happy girl (most of the time). I can see her developing her likes and dislikes and finding her gifts. She loves to laugh and is so spontaneous in what she says and does. At the same time, she has developed a sense of responsibility that I don't think I had at that age. I'm hoping she enjoys these days as much as her young mind can. Although being who she is, she may never lose her joie de vivre!

Peach on her tenth birthday. Happy and carefree!

1 comment:

  1. How Fun!!! I loved Winnie the Pooh, too and real all the Bobsey Twins books, my mom saved many of them and gave them to my daughter several years agao when she was 10 ;-)

    What book were you reading that suggested the trip down memory lane?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...