Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bub Goes to School

Bub went to high school today. We are deep in the throes of deciding what to do post grade school. It's being a very difficult decision. I'm praying for much guidance, but I still don't have a clear answer. Today we sent him to a local Catholic high school to check it out and tonight we go to a parent information night.

Part of me desperately wants him to go -- if only to make my workload lighter. I'm also afraid he might miss out on opportunities that I can't give him if I keep him home. On the other hand he may miss out on opportunities if I send him to school -- such as traveling to the Philippines with us depending on when we get the notice to travel.

When I went to pick him up after his morning there, he was grinning from ear to ear. "Mom, this school is awesome. I want to go here!"

I'm going to be looking into some online programs and some other resources as well, but at this point we're just. not. sure. what to do... Prayer and lots of it. Prayer for peace in whatever path God wants us to take.


  1. Oh Deborah,

    That's a huge decision! Praying for you...

    We're not there yet, but I've been thinking about it.

    Don't know what you have in Canada, but here (in WA St.) we have a program called Running Start. (Not a homeschool thing - open to all HS students.) The students can take classes at the local community college and get dual credit - for HS and towards an AA degree... for FREE!

    A lot of homeschoolers utilize this to avoid the whole issue of having a HS diploma/graduation. The kids just transition directly from homeschool to community college and often earn their AA degree, and can then chose to transfer to a 4-year college or university.

    Don't know if you have that kind of option or if that's you'd be interested, but thought I'd mention it.


  2. I will pray for peace for your decision. If you do decide to send him, the school should be understanding regarding the travel to the Philippines. Our daughter was in 5th grade when we traveled, and the school was amazing...they completely supported our decision to have her go with us. She did a presentation for her class on the Philippines when we returned, too. Let us know what you decide!

  3. Praying for you regarding this decision. We are just over 3 years away, but I have wondered if my oldest will bring up the subject. Sadly, private Christian school is not an option for us as the tuition rates and uniform purchases are quite expensive - many private schools do not go beyond 8th grade any longer due to low enrollment anyway. I really feel in my heart that the Lord wants us to homeschool all the way through high school, but I do wonder if my oldest will feel he's missing out on something. I know he won't be (the schools here are way beyond capacity and the education they offer is far from the best), but teens have a mind of their own. LOL

  4. Tough decision, but you are praying and it is God's intent to show us His will.

    I placed my second son in a Christian school when he was in sixth grade. It was what he needed and was the right decision for him.


Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...