Monday, February 16, 2009

Choosing Simplicity

I am reading a book that teaches about voluntary simplicity. By saying voluntary simplicity, I don't mean, getting rid of everything and living like a hermit in the woods (although sometimes I am very tempted by that), but by choosing to find the things in life that bring me joy. Choosing to make a ritual (I'm not sure if that is the right word) out of the everyday routine things I do in my life. Learning to savour each day -- or at least moments of each day. For me, some days this is a real struggle, but mostly I am discovering feelings of joy and contentment that I never knew existed inside of me.

In the meantime, here are a few of the things that I have been doing while not being daily devoted to my blog:

-- tidying and sorting through piles and piles of papers, magazines, etc. (I still have a couple more to do).
-- doing paperwork. Lots of paperwork...
-- learning how to run Peach's sewing machine. (She already knew how to work it, but I didn't). It runs beautifully.
-- started sewing some skirts for the girls.
-- made some plans for some more sewing projects.
-- finished the last of my plans for our school year. We should be done the middle of May.
-- cleaned out, purged, and reorganized our crawl storage.
-- playing and laughing with my children
-- making cards.
-- did a couple of kid exchanges.
-- reading
-- continuing to take pictures for Project 365.
-- attempting to paint or repaint a few rooms.
-- exercising (!!!)
-- marvelled at some sunshiney days that were above freezing!!
-- I think I've figured out a time that will work for more frequent blogging again. I miss it, so I will continue to fit it in when time allows.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm not the only one going through piles of papers! I'm almost finished with ours ... I think. I haven't looked at a couple of drawers in our entertainment center for fear of the piles that might be hiding in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...