Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pie Plant

Today is the day! It is time for the abundant rhubarb in my garden to be picked. I'm hoping I can sneak out between rain showers -- if there is a between showers -- and pick a pile so I can make a couple of rhubarb pies. I'm thinking I'll make our favorite classic, creamy rhubarb pie -- and if I can find a recipe, a rhubarb custard pie.

Seeing as our cupboards are pretty much devoid of enough food for a decent meal, perhaps I will have one pie for dinner and one for dessert. :-)

Well, I'm off to see what I can scrounge for supper. I guess spaghetti will have to do. It's certainly not one of my favorite meals, but it is popular with the children. I can endure it when it has simmered in the crock pot for hours.

If I brave the rain, I will be sure to post some pics of the pies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rain stopped enough that I could get at the rhubarb. I made three pies and put eight bags of chopped rhubarb in the freezer. I only barely got a third of my way through pulling the stalks yet too. Something tells me we'll be able to eat rhubarb all winter again.

Here are two of the pies I made. A third one was waiting to go into the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...