Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Recipe Swap

swap blogpost

I'm joining Randi today in her Recipe Swap. Today's recipe feature is totally up to us, so I am choosing rhubarb. Yesterday, I pulled my first pick of this yummy sour vegetable. (Yes, it's actually a vegetable, even though we use it in delectable desserts). To say that I have a shortage of rhubarb would be a gross understatement. I think we might be able to eat rhubarb in some way everyday for the rest of the spring and summer at the very least. Good thing we all like it!

Yesterday evening, I made two crisps, two pies, and two spoon cakes. The spoon cake recipe one I received many years ago and have made many times. We all still love it! Rhubarb is a good source of fibre, but this recipe one ups that by including bran in it too. I like to think it's pretty healthy despite all the sugar.

Strawberry Rhubarb Spoon Cake

4 cups sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Topping:
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup wheat bran or bran flakes
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup boiling water
Fresh strawberries optional for garnish.

In an ungreased 8 or 9 inch square baking pan, mix rhubarb and jam. Spread out in an even layer.In a bowl, work butter into 3/4 cup of the sugar until it forms fine crumbs. Stir in bran and baking powder, then add milk and flour, alternately. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter on top of rhubarb. Spread out in an even layer. Combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Sprinkle ove batter. Pour boiling water over all.Bake at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes until top crust is dry and lightly browned. Cool in pan at least 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced strawberries if desired.

*I use frozen rhubarb when fresh is unavailable. I just let it thaw enough to drain some of the excess juice off.

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I love rhubarb and strawberries together. I homeschooled our children too, but I am finished now since they are grown. Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I have only used rhubarb a few times, but I do love it. Thanks for the new way to use it!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog- it's nice to make new friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...