Friday, February 22, 2019

Moving Toward a Simpler Life

In late November, I went on a decluttering kick (again). If you know me or have read my blog, you know I love decluttering and organizing and that I frequently declutter. This has been my largest one to date. I wish I had thought to take photos, but as I wasn't thinking blog thoughts, taking photos of the process did not cross my mind at all.

At the same time as I went full on decluttering, I discovered the abyss that is youtube and started listening to youtubers and vlogs on minimalism, simplifying, and slowing down. I discovered podcasts as well.  This was just ahead of the Marie Kondo craze. I will admit that I did binge watch all her episodes on Netflix last month. Interesting, but I was already way ahead of that concept.

In late November I began a thirty-day challenge where the goal is to get rid of five hundred things in thirty days. I managed to almost double that amount -- and I wasn't counting 30 thumbtacks as part of the challenge. I would just mark down, a box of thumbtacks. My family was not a part of the challenge, so, for the most part, their stuff was left alone. I ended up with 7 empty 7 litre Rubbermaid rough totes, three empty varying height plastic multi-drawer towers, as well as a number of empty banker's boxes. I think at least six car or van loads were taken to various locations such as Habitat for Humanity, Goodwill, and St. Vincent de Paul. As I am sitting here typing there are two boxes of items that need to be dropped off again as well as several boxes of books that will be going to a fundraising book sale later this year.

The reality is though, that I am still not done. There are still large amounts of papers that need to be sifted through, cards to be sorted, photographs to be gone through, more crafting items that need to be passed along, a garage to tackle when the weather warms up again, and still more books to be gone through.

What has all this purging of stuff taught me? 1) less stuff equals less work. Less to clean, less to look after, less to feel guilty about. 2) If done carefully, you will have no regrets. In other words, I have not regretted getting rid of anything that has left our home. 3) I am able to be more careful and frugal with what remains in our home and I truely like the stuff that is here.

Ultimately, my goal in decreasing the amount of stuff in my home is to free up time and yes, finances for other things. Things that aren't necessarily material, but allow us to slow down, enjoy being home and spending time together as a family. I want to walk into my home and the various rooms in my home and feel at rest. I want to be able to sloooowww down and read, sip a cup of tea, savour a piece of dark chocolate, and not be thinking to myself that I need to hurry up because I need to dust this,  to vacuum that, to put all those things away that there is no room for because I have too much stuff already.

It is a process and it will continue to be a process. It is a matter of mindfulness and learning to embrace slow. Perhaps I will end up calling this the Year of Slow. I guess I am back to marching to the beat of A Different Drum. :o)

3 comments:

  1. I read this thinking...me too! I was sitting on my bathroom floor this morning cleaning out bathroom drawers and cabinets and you would not believe the junk I threw away! Like how many old makeup brushes does one need? But then I thought some of this was my age...a need to dejunk. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very heartening! The room you pictured does look serene. One could sit there and think :-)

    I'm to the point where I am eagerly purging my belongings even of things I like very much, just because I am currently craving space and emptiness. I'm beginning to resent things only because they require a place to live, and I don't want to have one more decision to make.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My office/studio is in full disaster mode. Usually when it gets like that I still know where to find things but suddenly I seem to be spending more time looking for what I want than I should be. Now that the room no longer also houses my youngest grandson every second weekend I really need to get a handle on this mess. I've tried to reorganize before, but that always seems to require relocating something else to someplace that would have to be reorganized first, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Luckily this particular room needs a new floor so EVERYTHING needs to be packed up and moved out. I will get another set of cubicles for where the cot was, and when I put stuff back in the room I will sort various art tools into marked shoe boxes so they will be easier to find. (Yes, I have a pile of boxes stored in case I needed them to wrap Christmas presents in). It will be a big job, but it will be totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...