Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

Yesterday was pot pie for supper. Imagine my surprise when I went to get out the unbleached flour, only to realize that there wasn't any. What to do?!?!? Well, I had lots of whole wheat flour yet, but just no recipe. So I did what any other computer savvy homeschooling housewife does. I found one by Goo*ling. This one was delicious!

I simply used my whole wheat flour, but I understand that Cdn. flour is ground quite differently from American flour, so if you live south of the Canadian border, you might want to follow the recipe more precisely -- or live on the edge and try it with the ingredients you have on hand.

9" Whole Wheat Pastry Shell

1 cup sifted whole wheat stone ground flour
1/2 cup sifted whole wheat stone ground pastry flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 unsalted organic butter (I used salted and it was fine)
4-5 Tbsp cold milk

Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until largest pieces are pea sized. Sprinkle the the milk over the mixture 1 Tbsp at a time until the dough is moistened just enough to hold together. Quickly form into a ball working dough as little as possible.

Lightly sift flour onto piece of waxed paper or parchment paper. Place ball in center an roll until 1/8"thick.Gather pastry loosely onto floured rolling pin by gently rolling it up and peeling away waxed paper as you go. Lay pin over pie plate and carefully unroll pastry.

Whole wheat pastry tends to split and break more than white flour pastry. You may have to do a little gentle patching. Don't worry, flute the edge nicely and no one will know. Quickly pat into pie plate so the butter does not melt from the heat of your hands.

Trim edge, leaving about 1/2 inch overlapping pie plate. Tuck this flap under all the way round and crimp or flute.

**I just place mine on top of a 9x13 baking dish, so no fancy work was done. We're more concerned about taste than presentation ;o)! And no photos either! We eat all up before I even thought of getting a photo.

3 comments:

  1. I soooo need to try this! I am intimidated to make a crust:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give this a try. It's so nice to see a recipe that doesn't call for lard or shortening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...