Friday, September 30, 2011

Our Guests Have Arrived

A warm thank you to Pom Pom and Mags for coming up with this fun worldwide tour of some storybook friends of ours! They're off to see Debbie in Oregon next and I can't wait to read about all of their adventures!
Toad, Mole, and Ratty from Wind in the Willows have finally arrived here in Ontario from Colorado. It was a loooooong trip, but they have had a little rest and have been rejuvenated with some cups of tea and pumpkin scones that I made especially for them.



Stay tuned throughout the weekend for more adventures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Because Toady was just smacking his lips and forgot all about joy riding in a car for a short time, I thought I would share the scone recipe with you. The scones are purported to be the recipe that Starb*cks uses. If you've ever had them you know they are good! I found them at East 9th Street and because a friend (you know who you are :o)) says I should always copy them onto my blog (just in case the other blog disappears without a trace) here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Scones

7 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4. With a fork, pastry knife, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter remain. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, half and half, and egg.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
7. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long      and 3 inches wide).
8. Use a large knife to slice the dough into three equal portions. Cut diagonally to produce 6 triangular slices of dough.
9. Place on prepared baking sheet from step 2.
10. Bake for 14–16 minutes until scones turn light brown.
11. Place on wire rack to cool.

Sugar Glaze Ingredients:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk

1. Mix the powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoon milk together until smooth.
2. Brush glaze over the top of each cooled scone.

Spiced Glaze Ingredients:

1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves

1. As sugar glaze firms, combine the spiced icing ingredients.
2. Use whisk to drizzle over each scone and allow to dry before serving.

Enjoy!

Stay tuned for more animal adventures and while you're waiting, go vote there's only four days left! You know you want to :o)!

13 comments:

  1. Ooh I saw those in your "welcome autumn" post, and I was instantly craving one even though I've never tried one :) Thanks for the recipe! My mom, sister Erin, and I made apple crisp today so I hope to post it tomorrow!

    Your adventures sound like fun! I can't wait to see more of them!

    Blessings,
    ~Michlyn

    P.S. I vote for you everyday, and will go share it on our blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to try these! Love pumpkin-anything! Enjoy your little house guests.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE you!! I was going to say to send some of those scones right along with our friends because they are my all time favorite... You gave me the recipe! Yippee!!!!

    We are eagerly awaiting our world travelers, but certainly, enjoy them to the fullest before sending them on their jolly way. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making scones and have lots of different recipes, but have never had any that were iced. I've added this recipe to my collection and will definitely make them someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh this sounds like such a treat to have these visitor's. And that recipe is GOING to be made here very soon! Thank you, thank you thank you for sharing it with us. ((HUGS))

    This was a fun post. [o=

    Blessings in Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This world is such a hard place to be on diet. Those looks yummy AND beautiful. I have never made scones that were that pretty. What is the secret????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done, all of you hospitable folks! Just what I'd love to have waiting for me at journey's end! Hope they're behaving themselves- watch that Old Toad and dust off your naughty step if required! Can't wait to hear all about it! Such larks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love company! And such a cozy, warm picture if your friends having tea.
    A hearty and most sincere thank you for posting the recipe. I know what I am going to make my "little pumpkin " for her birthday when we go up to Boston to see her in a few weeks.
    Love and a great big hug for you and your crew,
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm beaming from ear to ear! Such a fine tea party! I can't wait to see what they do next! (LOVE!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Those scones look melt-in-your-mouth. I'll be hosting the Willows Trio at some point too, and I can't wait! Glad they arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! I had to let you know that I had to link you and your recipe. {o= I can't wait to make these.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello
    lovely photos!!!
    mmmh your scones looks wonderful,
    thanks for sharing the recipe.I will
    it try.
    I have you add to my list,I hope that
    is okay.
    blessings,regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...