Monday, August 15, 2011

Baba Ghanoush

I made Baba Ghanoush this weekend as my friend Beth suggested. Thank you, Beth! I cannot leave it alone. Soooo good!

Alas, I did not follow recipe directions exactly. I used less lemon juice than what the recipe called for and I'm glad. It's just tart enough for us.

If you would like the exact recipe, go to allrecipes.com and type in baba ghanoush. Otherwise here's mine if you're brave enough to eat eggplant :0).

  • 1 eggplant
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice or to taste
  • 1/4 cup tahini butter
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Place eggplant on  the baking sheet, and prick holes in the skin with a fork. Roast in oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft. Remove from oven, and place into a large bowl of cold water. Remove from water, and peel skin off.

Place eggplant, lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds, and garlic in an electric blender or food processor, and . purée. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer eggplant mixture to a medium size mixing bowl, and slowly mix in olive oil. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.


Next time, I want to try this one! It sounds really good too -- and most of us love olives.

I hope if you try it, you enjoy it!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This is one of my favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried eggplant before, or heard of that recipe. Might be something worth trying soon. Thanks for posting it!

    Blessings,
    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have no idea how often neal will just spontaneously say those words ... baba ganoush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my friends favorite thing in the whole world. I can picture her face right now as she tries to describe it to me. She's a character and she says, "it's this flavor Debbie..." as she puts her fingers to her lips and rolls her eyes.

    I wonder if this is like the one at the restaurant. I'll have to give it a try!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last year, I thought it had a most unusual taste. The only problem I had was the large container of tahini I had to purchase. It would take making many batches of baba ghanoush to use it all up! I finally threw it away this past spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...