Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Swiss Chard Chips

Julie you asked me about these...

There has been much ado lately about kale chips, but seeing as I don't have kale growing in my garden, I tried Swiss chard because I have that in abundance, and I am getting tired of Swiss chard pie. Really, how different can Swiss chard be from kale?!?


I found a recipe that sounded workable on allrecipes (love that site!)

Wash and dry your chard/kale. It is very important that it's dry, or you will have soggy chips. Trust me, I know! Preheat your oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Tear leaves from the chard stems. (I used those later for supper). Tear into fairly large pieces as they do shrink, and place on the cookie sheet. Drizzle with a good oil like olive oil and your choice of seasons. I simply added salt. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Yum! It makes very quick work of a large head of Swiss chard (or kale).

Tomorrow I'll post a recipe for the sweet tooth crowd. It's one of my fav's hot out of the oven!

9 comments:

  1. That's so interesting Deborah. I have to say I have never heard of either the swiss chard or the other. Would love to try it. Can't wait for the sweet recipe.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this I would love to try it though! Thanks for sharing ~Ha and great idea about the tea cozy for Etsy I never even thought about doing that thanks for reminding me ~Your gonna get a coupon for sure hehehehe!!! Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be honest with you, Deborah...these look positively gross! But, if you made them and vouch for them, I'm sure they taste delectable. Im pretty sure you could make an old sock edible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Wendy, I will admit, they do look gross, but if you like your greens, this is a good way to get a whole lot of them. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit...they look gross! If I thought I could get my kids to eat more green vegetables by turning them into "chips", then I would give it a shot though so who knows, maybe I will try them someday?!

    I love your ideas and that you post pictures of the results (even when it doesn't look that appetizing!) because then if I make them, I don't wonder if they were supposed to look like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Sharla, I'm glad I could help ;o)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love swiss chard. I will need to try this recipe. I normally saute it in olive oil.

    I like the allrecipe sight too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I googled roasted swiss chard and found myself here! I did try the recipe and it was OK, but not because of the recipe... In fact, had I followed and not used some damp-ish leaves. You did warn me.

    Nice blog and what an amazing story. Google and grace led me here - and grateful I am indeed! Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids adore kale chips. Trying Swiss chard next!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...