Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Zucchini Boats

Sharla at The Blessing (Her blog really is a blessing to me!) asked me what was in the zucchini boats that I made during Zucchini week. The following is approximately what I put into them.

3 medium sized zucchini
1 680 mL can spaghetti sauce
1 28oz can chopped tomatoes (you can use chopped fresh tomatoes too, but at the time none were ready yet in the garden)
1 5.5oz can tomato paste
1 finely chopped onion
1 cup grated cheese (any type. I used Parmesan and extra old cheddar)
Extra grated cheese for sprinkling on top.

Slice zukes in half lengthwise and remove seeds to make a hollow. Fry up the onion in a little olive oil, add the tomato ingredients, and stir in the grated cheese. Bake in 350F oven until zucchinis can be poked through with a fork. When soft, sprinkle on remain cheese and bake until melted. Remove from oven and let cool for a bit as the tomato stuff is very hot.


I'm sure this would be great with any other of a number of ingredients added such as ground beef, chicken, or turkey, leftover rice or barley. They sky's the limit :o).

A final note: Depending on the size of your zukes, there will be leftover tomato filling. I like to use it in chili, with noodles, or on pizza.  It quite a versatile recipe!

Bon appetit!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks soooooo yummy! I'm making this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited to try this with the zucchinis my sister in law gave me from her garden! Yes! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter had something similiar to this on vacation and loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...