Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gooseberry Pie

We managed to beat the Cedar Waxings in the harvesting of our gooseberries this year. We have two small bushes, but they produced enough to make the requested gooseberry pie.

I realised after it was baked that I didn't glaze it very well. :o)

It turned out well, but I think I like gooseberries fresh from the bush rather than baked into a pie. The sweetness and the tartness were in such competition my stomach was revolting by the end. However, the Engineer and I shared the leftover pieces the next day and it seemed to have mellowed. I actually rather enjoyed it the second day.

The recipe is as follows:

3 cups fresh gooseberries
2 cups granulated sugar
3 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 tsp salt
1 pastry recipe for a 9-inch pie crust and top
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar

Stem and rinse berries.

Crush 1/2 cup berries in the bottom of a saucepan. Combine sugar, tapioca, and salt; mix with crushed berries. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Cook for two more minutes, remove from heat, and add in remaining berries.

Pour fruit filling into pastry. Adjust top crust, and cut slits for steam to escape, or make a lattice crust. Brush with milk and sugar and bake at 400F for 35 minutes.

I found this recipe at allrecipes.com it is one of my favorite recipe sites when I want to come up with an idea for a single ingredient.

3 comments:

  1. I have never tried a gooseberry, but the pie looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for allrecipes.com!!

    I remember the first time I had gooseberries. I had never seen them before and I thought they looked poisonous...my cousins couldn't convince me to try them!

    Pie looks yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good! I've never eaten a gooseberry or even seen a gooseberry bush.

    Glad you were able to harvest at least some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...