Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rosemary Baked Chicken and Squash

I used to have a recipe for this, but I long ago lost it, so I go by sense. (Is that the right word?) We love our squash in this house, be it acorn, butternut, or spaghetti, but this is perhaps one of our most favorite.


Once you get past the chopping, it's  pretty easy. Just put it together bake at 350F until the squash is soft and the chicken is no longer pink. Yum!

The Recipe

1} variable number of acorn squash to suit your family's size and eating capabilities.

2} boneless chicken breasts (again variable depending on your family size).

3} brown sugar

4} rosemary

5) freshly pressed garlic

6) big can of peaches

Chop squash into halves, remove seeds, and then slice into approx 3/4" slices. Chop chicken breasts into reasonable pieces or use whole depending on their size. (I like to make mine go far, so they're chopped into decent sized chunks). Arrange chicken and squash pieces in glass baking dishes.

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, rosemary, and pressed garlic. (Sorry, I eyeball this to an amount that will lightly cover the squash and chicken in the baking dishes, so I can't give you measurements.) Once mixed, sprinkle lightly over the ingredients in the baking pans. add a bit of water or some butter or margarine to the pans if you wish.

Bake for about 20 minutes. Then pour the can of peaches over the ingredients and bake until squash is soft and chicken is browned -- about 20-25 more minutes. (You may want to baste with the juice occasionally.) When ready, remove from oven, serve, and enjoy.


Note: I didn't have canned peaches, so I used apricot jam that I watered down a bit. It still worked well. So ultimately, I say, be creative. Use the ingredients to the proportions that you and your family will enjoy the most! Oh, and please do remove the peel before eating :o).

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!! I will admit, I've never tried squash! :)

    Good luck to your cooking!

    Blessings,
    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe looks wonderful and is just my kind... a little guess work and all in one pan!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might just have to splurge on canned peaches and try this one - looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...