Friday, January 22, 2010

Greek Pizza

On Fridays we typically have homemade pizza. They range in flavours to suit our mood. We like chicken Sezchuan, veggie, ham and pineapple, spinach (yes spinach! It's really very good), ham mushroom and green olives, or whatever else we can come up with on a given week.

My friend Kim at Sunny Days and Starry Nights (love her blog!) asked about the Greek ones we make. One of our favorites is Greek pizza. This one varies a little with the seasons. I make our dough in the bread maker. A little trick to get more nutrients into your kids. Use veggie juice instead of water (I've never used the beer the recipe calls for). It makes the dough a nice pinky/red and lends a mild vegetable flavour to the dough. (Note: I did not come up with this, but a friend of mine did, and she gave the idea to me).

Once your dough is ready, get out your required pizza pans and beat the dough into submission. This is the Engineer's job as I am terrible at getting that non-conforming dough to fit the pans for me. Then spread your favorite pizza sauce on your crusts (we often just use spaghetti sauce). Chop up some zucchini (summer squash?), sundried tomatoes (fresh tomatoes in the summer), red onion, and feta cheese and sprinkle all over the pizzas. Shake some oregano on them too. Then grate your mozzarella or in our case because I've forgotten again(!!) to buy mozz, extra old cheddar, and sprinkle on top. Then bake at whatever works for your oven to make a nicely browned bubbly pizza. I will not tell you a time or temp. because my oven can be temperamental and I do not want to be responsible for burning your supper.

Cut, cool, serve, and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. wow looks wonderful!! Hope you had a fabulous pizza night have a wonderful weekend ~Blessings Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yum! I'm definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so good!
    I usually make pizza at the end of the week, and top it with what ever is left in the fridge:)
    I will be making this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinach pizza is one of favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Hubby and I would enjoy this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...