Thursday, June 2, 2016

Mastering the Granny Square {My Continuing Quest to Learn to Crochet}

I taught myself to crochet about ten years ago now, but I didn't fully understand where the hook was supposed to go when starting a new row. Thus the few very basic projects I made had a rather strange look about them ;o). In late June, early July last summer, I was rather preoccupied even during the quiet times and I knew that reading was not the therapy I needed. I needed something to keep my hands busy because my mind was not going to slow down enough to read a book.

I am left handed when it comes to writing, eating, and apparently, crocheting. Murray's mom was left handed too, so I thought she could teach me and had taken my crochet up with me when they were still living on the farm, but alas she had learned to crochet right handed and my dreams of her teaching me were dashed. Finally, last summer, I watched a YouTube video that taught it left-handed. It finally made sense! I was so thrilled that I took my work up to the hospital to show Mom. She seemed pleased. I don't think I will ever be as good at it as she was, but I am glad I could show her yet that I had finally learned to properly crochet too.


I have since learned to do a granny square. So now I am making a couple afghans and a lap blanket (maybe?).

You've heard of the ugly Christmas sweater? Well, I am making the ugly Christmas afghan. :oD

This is new wool I bought. It's actually cotton. I have no idea why I bought it except that cotton washes up nice?

My leftover wool...

I have been telling myself that I am not allowed to buy new wool until I have used up my entire stash. Granny squares are great for that! Too bad I don't seem to have much time lately for any crocheting...

3 comments:

  1. I have a tendency to knit rather than crochet, but when I pick up my hook and begin crocheting I wonder why I do not do it more often. It looks as if you are on your way to a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo! That's great! Don't you just love to do something that you can SEE what you've accomplished, and it STAYS DONE! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I'm having so much fun catching up on your blog now that I'm back in the land of the internet. Thanks for sharing peeks into your world and heart!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...