Friday, May 28, 2010

Rhubarb, You are too Much!

Tis the season where I wash and dice rhubarb for the freezer. Usually in mid-April I realize that rhubarb season is rapidly approaching and we have yet to eat the fifteen bags from last year that are still in the freezer. Surprise! This year they were all gone! I went digging through the freezer the other day with the thoughts of adding them to the compost. *Gasp!*( I was very pleased to discover three more bags of blueberries though!)

Rhubarb is an unfortunate vegetable to work with. One, I'd rather consider it a fruit, since I'm not overly fond of veggies (except zucchini) in our sweet treats, and two, it just takes such ridiculously huge amounts of sugar to make it enjoyable to eat. Regardless, every May I make a couple of pies -- if only to say that we did in fact, eat some of our rhubarb.


I am happy to say that this year a friend will be taking a large portion of it off my hands for her baking and canning business. Thankfully she doesn't live close enough that we are forever sampling her products. She makes the best goodies and canned items!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sweet One!
    I love rhubarb pie. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm coming over to your house for pie and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pom Pom, that would be wonderful! I would pick fresh rhubarb and we could enjoy our conversation on the porch swing!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I come, too? What a treat that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Joanna! You most certainly can come :o)! I have a feeling the three of us would have very much to talk about!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are braver and have more perseverance than I.

    At our old house, I had a running battle with a rhubarb plant we 'inherited' with the house. It was HUGE. It wanted to take over, I'm sure of it. The stalks of rhubarb were about as long as my arms. And the worst thing was that a large community of slugs would hide under the enormous leaves, to come out and browse the garden at night.

    It was war, I tell you!

    But it would be lovely to sit with you and eat pie :D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Julie, you would be in shock at the ROW of rhubarb I have growing.

    I would love to have you too come and eat pie with me. *Sigh* If only the miles and miles didn't separate us all.

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had rhubarb, though I would love to try a pie. I don't think that will happen anytime soon as it won't grow in our zone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah,
    We ate so much rhubarb as kids, I can't bear it now.
    You are right about the sugar thing, it seems so pointless. My mom used to boil in down in a pot and put it in the fridge and freeze lots of course. It was our only treat really for years.

    I do wish I had space at this house for a garden though . We have a few herbs and such , but I'd love to plant more things to enjoy and put away. We try to get to the local farmer's market, but still.

    Love the little knitted hats ~ I always come away from your blog so inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...