Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another Experiment

Have you ever carefully opened a bean seed? If you haven't, you should try it sometime. Squirt and I soaked these kidney bean seeds in a wet paper towel for a couple days and then split them open to see what was inside.

Very cool! You can see the TINY new plant, the food sack and the seed coat. We even let them soak long enough to enable the root to start growing. Now they are planted in cups and we're awaiting further growth. We've also started another experiment with them. One cup is in the dark and one is in a sunny spot. Once they have grown out of the soil, we will examine them further.

2 comments:

  1. We did this last year as part of Exploring Creation with Botany. We also kept the seeds on wet towels in baggies in a sunny window, a dark cabinet, and the refrigerator to see how they grew. It was a big hit with my ds1 (and me too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of the refrigerator. That would have been neat to try too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...