Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Small Victories...

It's amazing how a few small changes can make a huge difference! This week has been moving forward with very little difficulties -- unless you count the arguing about how many pages of English should be done or whether the math is too difficult. Those things to me are par for the course though. "All in a days work," I say. :-)

I am really enjoying that we spend the first hour of our morning all together. I read and the kids just sit and listen. We're reading Hero Tales by Dave and Neta Jackson, The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett, and My First History of Canada by Donalda Dickie and Rudiger Krause. We're also continuing to work on character building with the book Achieving True Success.

The changes in character are becoming visible albeit slowly. The majority of it is my job -- I mean my job in regard to how I approach the work they have done. My job in learning to delegate and not worry if it isn't done to my standards. It's a real learning experience for both the kids and I.

Our days have been... quieter... more orderly... and less chaotic. It has been nice. I just wish we all didn't feel the urge to argue so much. I find myself even doing it. I've been told I always had to have the last word as a child too, but that still doesn't make it right. Slowly, I am learning to bite my tongue and let them have the last word. If they're wrong, they'll discover it soon enough. Undoubtedly, they won't admit they're wrong though. I'm guilty here too. So, not only do the kids have lots of character issues to work on, so does their mother.

Every year I am amazed at how much I like homeschooling our four Blessings. It is my job to teach them not only academic skills and life skills, but even more importantly to help them learn and grow in love for our Saviour. At the same time I find I am learning and growing in all these areas too. What a blessing and a gift to have the freedom to teach my children. I really can not explain how privileged I feel to have my children at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...