Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dads and Homeschooling

I thought this was interesting and very much what homeschooling is like for our family. Again this is taken from Christine M. Field's book Help for the Harried Homeschooler.

Without Mark, I would not be spending my days with my children, teaching, guiding, and caring for them as only I am able. For one thing, he gets up every weekday morning and goes to work to provide for his family. Faithfully. Whether he feels like it or not. If not for his commitment to homeschooling, we would both be working outside the home to make ends meet. If not for his willingness to embrace our lifestyleof relative simplicity, doing without many of the things that other men enjoy, our children would be in someone else's classroom. As a consequence, our family life would not have the strength and richness we now enjoy.

Mark is our chief encourager -- both mine and the children's. he listens to my complaints, allows me to vent my frustration without judgement, gives me opportunities to be alone for reflection or study, and does more than an average amount of household work so that my time is not monopolized by chores and cooking. as for the children, he inquires as to their progress, listens to their endless stories and narration, helps them study their Bible verses, and helps them finish the work we have not completed during the day.

Another way my husband supports our homeschooling efforts is by adding structure and accountability to our day. The children know that the bulk of their work must be completed before their daddy comes home. At bedtime, even when I'm too tired to care much whether the kids' teeth get brushed. Mark helps encourage healthy habits by taking charge of their nighttime routine.

I am blessed to have a husband like Mark. The Engineer takes an active role in our homeschooling in the ways that are mentioned above. Sometimes, I wish I was working so we could afford our wants, but they're just that -- wants. We are not in need of anything. All our needs have always been taken care of. In the end, the most important thing is that our family loves, respects, and enjoys each other, and the time we have together. All too quickly the time will come when our youngest has left the nest. I want to look back on these busy and yes, tiring days and know that we did what we knew was best for our family and I want to have no regrets. I am able to do this because of my husband's support and encouragement and ultimately because God has called us to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...