Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sorrow

When I set up this blog I did it with the idea of journaling my days -- good or bad, and what is interesting to me at the time. I wish I could say my life is all flowers and fluff, but unfortunately, like everyone else, I live in the real world.

What was a busy day, full of accomplishment here, has turned into a day of tears. I can be pretty tough when it comes to the tears, but not today.

We found a seriously injured kitty on our laneway. We thought it was one of our recent stray arrivals, but it turns out it wasn't. This kitty was so injured we had to have him/her put down at the veteranarian's. He/she now resides out in the garden with Jester. Although Snoopy was on her lead line, we thought she did it. At first we thought it was the kitten and then we thought it was the Mama. The children were very upset! I was trying not to be ill.

If that's not enough to make me cry, it hit me on the drive home that Snoopy had to go. We all love her and we take the privilege of owning a pet very seriously. Unfortunately, Snoopy is just not the right dog for us. She is brilliant and lovable because she is so cute, but she was just too much for us to handle. For someone who does not have young children and has time to train her, she will be a wonderful pet! As I wrote this originally, she was in transit to our local Humane Society where we got her from in the beginning. We're several hundred dollars poorer, but perhaps a little wiser. We will miss her greatly, but it will also be a blessed relief. I just pray that she will go to a good home where she will be loved and well taken care of.

***Originally this post was different, but I have had to edit it as the evening has worn on. We really thought at first that it was the Mama or grey tabby kitten that had been killed, but tonight we discovered all three of our strays here. I should have known, as the injured kitty was very fluffy, very skinny, not a tabby, and was not wearing a flea collar. The strays all have flea collars. Also, in the back of my mind, I felt that something didn't seem right about her injuries. She did not seem like she had been shaken by a dog. We think it was our other occasional visitor who we dubbed Selina (I forgot to mention her in my Kitty post. Sorry, Selina)! I also think she was sick and/or injured and that Snoopy didn't even get ahold of her. She just couldn't go on anymore and that spot on the pavement was nice and warm, despite the fact that she was three feet from the end of Snoopy's lead.

Now I feel even worse about the fact that we brought Snoopy back to the Humane Society, but on the other hand -- and this may sound silly, but I have been asking God's guidance regarding her for awhile. She is a high maintenance dog. She is fun, but she stresses our family out. We want her to be happy, but we don't think it's fair for her to be tied up all the time for fear she'll run away -- or worse yet run out into the road and get hit by a car. Thinking she was a cat killer, may have been God's way of saying to us to let her go. I just pray now she finds a new happier home for her than we could give her. I also have to remember to call the Humane Society tomorrow and let them know that she is NOT a cat killer. What a relief!!***

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry this has happened to your family. Snoopy will make another family really happy I'm sure. Sometimes it just isn't a good fit; unfortunately you just never know until you have a pet for a while. We had a cat that didn't work out once too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...