Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lemon Cake

It was so cold yesterday, that I'm beginning to wonder if we will be bothering to put up the pool this year. Usually, the kids have had their first swim in it before the first week of June is through, but I don't think that will be happening this year.

In order to warm myself up yesterday evening, I needed an excuse turn on the oven. I wanted something quick and simple, so Enter Duncan Hines. I have an oven that can sometimes be a little testy, but the cakes turned out remarkably well. I was pleased, so I made icing, put the layers together with a little strawberry jam, and, yes, it's true, the Engineer iced the cake. Today for morning snack we had lemon cake. Yum yum! I know my thighs will thank me later too.

P.S. I played with my food in order to take these photos. I picked violets (they're edible) and put them on the cake. The children think I'm a little nutty because I often take pictures of our food. Normally, Martha Stewart, I am not. Some days though, I like to try -- although I'm sure she'd cringe if she knew the cake was from a mix. *grin*

1 comment:

  1. It's lovely! I am guilty of using box mixes as well (Dr. Oetker's). I need to get more creative with decorating them though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love to hear from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...